April is Rosacea Awareness Month
Skin sensitivities can develop at any age and may not be related to hormonal changes. Aesthetician’s can help manage this condition by educating clients about known triggers of inflammation.
VISIBLE SIGNS OF ROSACEA
- Redness & flushing associated with triggers
- Capillary damage or telangiectasia
- Stinging or sensitivity to environment or topicals
- Skin thickening around the nose
- Bumps or acne with sensitvity or redness
- Eye irritation with skin signs
10 COMMON ROSACEA TRIGGERS
- Hot drinks
- Spicy foods
- Alcohol: Red wine is the biggest culprit in rosacea triggers.
- Extreme Weather: Protect skin from cold or wind with balm.
- Sun Exposure: Protect skin with sunscreen.
- Cosmetics: Avoid irritants caused by plain soap or fragrance.
- Exercise: Manage with topicals and opt for medium-low intensity workouts.
- Stress/Anxiety: Practice stress management and avoid stimulants.
- Vasodilators: Contribute to capillary damage.
ROSACEA & GENDER
Although women are more likely than men to develop rosacea, the side effects are usually more severe when the condition occurs in men. A woman is more likely to develop rosacea and may suffer from redness, inflammation, and broken capillaries for the rest of her life.
Home Care Routine
ARC Sensitive / Rosacea skin care products improve barrier functions and soften texture while helping reduce redness and prevent inflammatory triggers.
Common medications include systemic doxycycline, isotretinoin or minocycline, topical metronidazole, azelaic acid, sulfur or cortisone.
Light AHA Peels
Lactic Peel 30% and Pumpkin Peel 30% glycolic are preferred peels for clients who suffer from rosacea/sensitivity. Schedule avery 4-6 weeks.
Hydrates, improves texture, and assists with extractions. Infuse with Rest-N-Restore with Advanced Repair Serum. Can be combined with light skin peels and scheduled every 4-6 weeks. Ultrasonic therapy alone can be administered every 2 weeks.
Addresses redness and capillary damage, and alleviates visible signs of rosacea. Schedule every 3 months.
Aesthetician’s can help manage rosacea and give clients relief with the right combination of ingredients and treatments. If you think you have Rosacea, talk to your Dermatologist or skin care provider.